Sunday, August 2, 2009

First Post


You all asked, and I am delivering (to the best of my ability). Here I am in Ecuador. The plane ride was my favourite ever. I was seated next to a French woman who spoke not a shred of either Spanish or English. Since the extent of my French is saying, "Your mom is on the table" I was quite helpless to communicate. BUT... communicate we did. We used elaborate hand motions and one word explanations. I was able to explain to her that the masks the flight attendants passed out were for swine flu (in case you were wondering, "gripe porcine" in one way to say it in French).

When I arrived in Quito, my family had a huge banner saying "Welcome Maren" as well as a large balloon that said "Welcome Home" in English and was very American themed. Since then, they have been amazing to me. I love my host family! I already feel way more welcomed than I ever did in Chile.

Yesterday we went to see a giant statue of the virgin mary called "Virgin del Panecillo". It was pretty impressive.

I am frustrated that I am not able to communicate everything. I know I am doing much better than my first week in Chile but I am impatient. I want perfection now!

So there you have it darlings, my first blog form Ecuador.

Besitos para todos!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Maren! I'm glad that you are having such a good time already!!!!!! : )
    Have lots of fun!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cool! Where is the picture of the giant Virgin Mary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Maren! I'm so glad someone from home is on the same continent as me now!

    ReplyDelete