Monday, August 3, 2009

Death By Food

Today was my first day at orientation with the other exchange students in the program. I felt like a popular girl! I fluttered from group to group and people received me well! Even girls! Normally, I have the hardest time conversing with girls and relating to them.

There are people from many countries and states. One boy came form Mexico which surprised me. I really enjoyed talking with the boys from Japan. They spoke so little Spanish and there accents were very thick but adorable.

I started signing up for classes. I think my favorite will be ethno-cultural-linguistics. Another class I will take is Art of Quito. We will visit various art museums. I am muy excited to learn more about the artist Guyasamin, Ecuador's most famous. Look him up if you want to see some hauntingly beautiful paintings. The art class is taught my a famous Ecuadorian writer/cook, or so says my adviser. I guess he acts a bit like a diva which makes the class slightly difficult.

The most exciting part of the day was visiting the biology department. In a recent National Geographic there was an article about rare frogs and efforts to classify them before they go extinct as well as preserve their habitat. Many of the photos were credited to PUCE (my university here). We actually got to see tons of these rare frogs. Some were highly venomous but beautiful and others were just plain ugly and safe. There were also many dead specimens :( all the same, I was perhaps a bit too excited to see all the frogs. Somedays, I think perhaps I should have stuck with biology...

Finally, to address the title of today's blog. I was also pleased today not to have my host mother near by to force feed me lunch. HA! School is going to be amazing, not only to learn but also to eat smaller portions. My host mother tries to feed me a 5 course lunch and then still expects me to eat a 3 course dinner... I would real rather not have to be rolled onto the plane when I leave Ecuador so this new opportunity to manage my own nutrition is more than welcome.

Well, that is all my darlings.

Besitos!

No comments:

Post a Comment